What is SharePoint Online?
SharePoint Online is a cloud-based application included in the Microsoft Suite and your Office 365 subscription. SharePoint is a collaborative tool that is typically used to create websites, teams. However, it also can be a secure way to store, organise and share files from any device. As the need for a centralised, secure and flexible file storage solution becomes more apparent, SharePoint emerges as a viable alternative to traditional file servers.
What is a File Server?
A file server solution encompasses both software and hardware elements to provide users a centralised storage location for files. Whilst file servers have been a mainstay in business operations, there are limitations of this system. The major downsides of having a traditional file server solution include its inability to scale depending on your business’s needs. Other issues include the difficulty of maintaining the server itself. So, whilst file server solutions have their pros, they are not the best alternative for a small business looking for a flexible and cost effective storage solution.
SharePoint Online for File Storage
SharePoint Online has become a viable alternative to traditional file storage, particularly for small businesses. This service is for businesses who are wanting to take their file storage and sharing abilities to a bigger, more sophisticated scale. Here are some benefits of adopting a SharePoint file storage solution:
- SharePoint Online and Azure Active Directory are included in most Office 365 plans already.
- You can access your files from anywhere, from any device.
- It allows you to easily collaborate and share files with your team and external parties in real time.
- No costly infrastructure.
- 1TB of storage included but this can be scaled up depending on your business’s needs (at cost).
- Provides a cost effective storage solution for small and micro businesses.
- Milnsbridge Managed Office 365 backup also covers SharePoint document libraries and provides a one year retention.
As more and more line-of-business applications move to cloud-based hosting, the need for on-the-go and accessible data grows. This is why traditional file server solutions are not entirely robust and flexible compared to cloud solutions such as SharePoint online.
If you’re considering switching to a SharePoint Online file storage solution for your business, call Milnsbridge IT today on 1300 300 293.