If you haven’t already heard, Australia’s Notifiable Data Breach Scheme (NDB) comes into effect on the 22nd of February 2018. This article will explain the NDB Scheme, who it affects and how you can prepare your business.
What is the NDB Scheme?
The NDB Act is an amendment to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which introduces the mandatory Notifiable Data Breach Scheme. The NDB Scheme sets out obligations for notifying affected individuals, and the Office of the Australia Information Commissioner (OAIC), about data breach which is likely to result in serious harm.
What is a data breach?
A data breach is when sensitive information held by a business or organisation is lost or compromised. Examples of a data breach include:
- A customer’s personal information being lost or stolen.
- Unauthorised access to a database that stores sensitive information.
- Personal or sensitive information mistakenly provided to the wrong person.
A data breach must be reported to the OAIC and the affected person if:
- There is unauthorised access to or unauthorised disclosure of personal information, or loss if personal information, that an entity holds.
- This is like to result in serious harm to one or more individuals and,
- The entity has not been able to prevent the likely risk of serious harm with remedial action.
Who does the NDB Scheme apply to?
Agencies and organisations that already comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This includes:
- Most Government agencies
- Businesses or organisations with an annual turnover of $3 million or more.
However, the Privacy Act also covers smaller entities that trade or deal with sensitive information. Such as:
- Child care centres
- The private schools and education sector
- Private health care providers
- Businesses that handle Tax File Numbers, credit applications or similar sensitive information.
How Milnsbridge can prepare your business for the NDB Scheme
At Milnsbridge Managed IT Services, we take security seriously, all Managed Support Plans include the Milnsbridge Security Suite which encompasses anti-virus and malware protection, spam filtering, and vulnerability assessment scanning.
Give us a call today on 1300 300 293 to book a FREE security risk assessment for you business with a certified team member.